Monday, November 15, 2004

Dirt McGirt, We Hardly Knew Ya..


I was very saddened to wake up this morning and hear that one of the most original and vivacious hip-hop artist ever had passed on last night.

It hit me especially hard as I had been doing some stuff that I probably should not have indulged in over the weekend, and just last night made a vow to myself to not touch the stuff again as I don’t want to go out like that. And then to hear one of my favorite hip-hop artist probably died from the drugs, it was certainly a sobering moment.

While most people will probably remember O.B.D for his outlandish behaviour and his prodigiously fertile ways, I’ll always remember him for that day long, long ago, when I bought the ‘protect ya neck/ method man’ 12” and thought: who the fuck are these guys?
After that, I became something of a Wu-Tang fanatic (well, for the first couple albums) and held a special place for O.B.D and his solo work. So many good nights were spent dancing and banging away to his music, which still rings in my head when a certain mood sets in.

Something tells me, however, that Big Baby Jesus and Rick James are probably still rocking the party in funk heaven…rest in peace.

Give It To Ya Raw (link from Cocaine Blunts and Hip Hop)

1 Comments:

At November 17, 2004 at 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I`m there with you friend... sadness is sadness does. too bad we are separated by not only an incredibly large ocean but also the land mass of one of the largest countries in the world...otherwise I`d give ya a hug

 

Post a Comment

<< Home